Minutes for 16th June 2016

HANLEY CASTLE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday, 16th June 2016 at Hanley Swan Village Hall, starting at 7pm.

Present: Councillors: Sue Roberts (Chairman), Bob Lamb, John Taverner, Sue Adeney, Sarah Darwent & Alison Bolton.  Alex Walker after Co-Option.

Apologies: Cllr Wendy Roberts-Powell, Peter Goodyear (PPW), CCllr Tom Wells & DCllrs M Morgan & A Morgan.

In Attendance: Mrs Rebecca Abunassar (Clerk), Alex Walker, Gigi Field.

81/16 Welcome:

The Chairman welcomed all present especially Alex Walker and accepted the apologies submitted to the Clerk.

82/16 Co-Option of vacancy:

Cllr Roberts was pleased to announce that a candidate had come forward to fill the current councillor vacancy. She proposed the co-option of Alex Walker, Cllr Lamb seconded the proposal and all Councillors voted in favour of the appointment. Cllr Roberts welcomed Alex onto the Parish Council and he signed the declaration of interest form for MHDC.

83/16 Declarations of Interest & Dispensation Requests from Councillors:

a) Register of Interests: Councillors were reminded that they should have updated their register of interests and sent them to John Williams at MHDC.

b) To declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in items on the agenda and their nature:

None Declared

c) To declare any Other Disclosable Interests in items on the agenda and their nature:

Cllr Lamb declared an interest as a friend of the applicant in the Rhydd Gardens planning application. Cllr Roberts declared an interest in the Rural Rate.

d) To consider and agree all requests from Councillors for the Council to Grant a Dispensation (S33 of the Localism Act 2011)

None Received

Closure of the meeting to allow parishioners present to speak on any matters relating to the Parish.

A parishioner raised the issue of ducks being killed on the road by the pond and asked whether installing Welcome Gates to the entrances of the village would be worthwhile considering. She provided the Council with a quotation for Welcome Gates and also for filling in the potholes on Coverfield. This matter was discussed and Cllr Lamb explained that Welcome Gates had been looked into by the Neighbourhood Planning Group but it would be a matter of having them installed at all the entrances to both villages and not just leading up to the cross roads in Hanley Swan. It was agreed that something needed to be done to draw motorists’ attention to the hazard of ducks on the road. Better signage was discussed and Cllr Taverner said he would ask the Lengthsman to cut back any hedgerow that was obscuring the signs but he had tried to clean them before and the signs surfaces were in a poor state of repair. The Clerk said that whilst Highways would not agree to additional signs, if the signs were in poor repair they might replace the existing ones. It was agreed that altering the height of one of the signs might also be of benefit. The potholes were discussed later in the meeting.
ACTION: The Clerk to ask Highways for replacement signs.

84/16 Minutes:

The Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 19th May 2016 had been previously circulated and the minutes were approved and were signed.

85/16 Matters Arising & Progress Reports not Listed elsewhere on the Agenda:

Min 69c/13: Anne Ballinger gift:

Cllr Darwent updated the Council on the noticeboards. They would be ready on the 24th June but the plaques would need to be ordered separately. Cllr Bolton offered to source the plaques but would need to know the required wording. Cllr Roberts agreed to decide on appropriate wording and to organise for the noticeboards to be erected when ready. She would ask Mr Waggett to collect them when they were ready and install them.
ACTION: Cllr Darwent to liaise with AJB Joinery and let Cllr Roberts know when they were ready, Cllr Roberts to provide wording for plaques and advise Cllr Bolton and to arrange installation with Mr Waggett.

Min 98c/15: Speed Check on Welland Road:

No updated available

Min 176b/15: Road safety improvements at Cross Hands:

No progress but Cllr Lamb would take it up with Cllr Wells when he had recovered.

Min 45a/16: Café Market’s proposal to jointly purchase a VAS:

A quotation had been obtained but additional quotations were awaited. The location for the sign was discussed and whether additional locations were needed to be included. It was agreed to look at additional locations once the VAS had been purchased.
ACTION: Clerk to chase up additional quotations.

Min 58/16a Pathway works – Community Orchard pathway:

The Clerk had emailed the Community Orchard Committee to let them know the Parish Council were prepared to pay for the materials if they would be able to source the labour to help with the work but a response had not been received.
ACTION: The Clerk to await the response from the Community Orchard Committee.

Cutting of the Village Green, Hanley Swan:

Concern was raised regarding the publican of The Swan cutting the grass prior to the contractors and what the intention was behind cutting it as it was already cut regularly at a cost to the Parish Council. Cllr Darwent had spoken to him and asked that he refrained from cutting it the same week as the contractor but it had still occurred. If it continued it would be a waste of the contractor’s resource and was agreed that other sites might benefit from being cut instead of the Green. Councillors were asked to email Cllr Adeney with possible sites and the Clerk would raise the matter with the contractor. The Clerk was also asked to speak to Open Spaces to ensure that land cannot be claimed if maintained by a person in the short term and also to check with the insurance company regarding the liability of a parishioner mowing the Green.
ACTION: All to email Cllr Adeney with site suggestions and the Clerk to speak with the contractor, Open Spaces and the insurance company.

86/16 Finance:

a) Payment of Accounts:

Members approved the payments of accounts as in the presented schedule in Appendix 1.

b) Notification of receipts received:

£500 Donation from Youth group for playground maintenance – ring-fenced for reair/replacement of the basketball hoop and half court.

c) End of year Finances & Internal Audit:

The Clerk advised that she was meeting with the Internal Auditor on the 24th June and that the accounts would be available to parishioners from that point in their unaudited form.

d) Rural Rate Relief:

An application from the butchers in Hanley Swan was discussed and agreed upon to support option b) for the application. (Cllr Roberts left the meeting and Cllr Taverner chaired whilst the item was discussed).

87/16 Planning:

a) To Consider the following applications referred by MHDC for consultation:

16/00690/HOU Rhydd Gardens , Worcester Road, Hanley Castle, WR8 0AB
Extension at rear

The application was discussed and no objections raised.

16/00706/FUL Land At (Os 8365 4239), Gilberts End Lane, Hanley Castle,
Proposed amendment to previously approved scheme (15/00808/FUL) dwellings and creation of new vehicular access.

The application was discussed and no objections raised

ACTION – The Clerk to notify MHDC

b) To consider under the Scheme of Delegation any Planning Applications received
between the publication of the agenda and the Meeting:

none received

c) Details of Decision Notices Received to-date:

16/00566/FUL Home Farm, Blackmore Park, Hanley Swan, WR8 0EF
Erection of a timber framed general purpose agricultural building (retrospective)
Approved 25th May 2016

16/00556/FUL Offices Rear Of, The Balconies, Hanley Swan, WR8 0DN
Change of use of existing first floor office to domestic study in association with the Dwelling.
Approved 1st June 2016

d) Details of Appeal Notices Received to-date:

Proposed Certificate of Lawfulness of existing use or development relating to the use of a Waste Incinerator at land at Hangman’s Lane, Hanley Castle,

The Clerk had tried to contact the original Case Officer but had not been successful as the grounds for refusal was not on the website. She would contact the head of planning and request a copy of the refusal notice and ensure the Planning Inspector had received all the documentation that had been sent to the original officer.

e) Details of enforcement action:

Mortimer Lodge – Emails had been received from Duncan Rudge regarding Mortimer Lodge informing the Council it was being investigated by one of the Officers. DClr A Morgan had been in contact with MHDC but was not present to update the Council.
ACTION – The Clerk to request an update ahead of the next meeting.

88/16 Highway Matters:

a) Report & Works for the Lengthsman

Cllr Taverner was pleased to say that the new VAS rota was being followed but the VAS still appeared to be stuck on at times. He also mentioned that there had been no comments regarding the growth of vegetation alongside the cycle path but he would ask the Lengthsman to check and cut back any overhanging growth.

b) Update on reported issues

Coverfield section road ownership.

Cllr Roberts said that she had spoken to Chris Almgill who was looking into the matter of ownership as he was convinced that it was owned by Fortis. The Clerk and the Pond Warden had looked into the cost of repairing the potholes. The Clerk had been recommended Vitafix which could be bought for £36 per 25kg bag. The Pond Warden had received 2 quotations, the best was from Three Counties and was £3000 to fill all the potholes and kerb the area by the pond. It was decided that Cllrs Roberts and Adeney would organise a site visit to determine the best way forward and continue to push for Fortis to agree ownership.

Cllr Bolton also raised the issue of non-resident parking on Coverfields and the problem it was starting to cause. Unfortunately there were no signs stating residents only parking so Cllr Roberts suggested getting a quotation for signage that would be in keeping with the rest of the parish and if the residents were willing to cover the cost of the sign it could be erected.

Parking by The Swan

The issue of parking along the Green by visitors to the pub was raised again. Inconsiderate parking was damaging the Green but also blocking Parishioners’ driveways and making it impossible for emergency vehicles to get through if they were called. The possibility of putting yellow lines to deter parking was discussed along with signage along the hedgerow or green. The need to encourage patrons to use the pub’s car park was also discussed and would be raised with the publican. It was agreed to look at it during the site visit of the area.

ACTION: Cllr Roberts to arrange a site visit and to liaise with Blake regarding the sign. Cllr Darwent to provide photos of parking issue.

89/16 District & County Councillors Reports:

a) District Cllrs Morgan & Morgan:

The DCllrs were not present

b) County Cllr Tom Wells:

Cllr Wells was not present.

90/16 Report of the:

a) Parish Paths & Tree Warden – (Peter Goodyear):

Cllr Taverner said that Peter would organise the materials for the Community Orchard public footpath later in the year and would try to organise assistance with repairing the pathway. The small oak on the Green was discussed and it was asked if Mr Goodyear would look at it to determine if the lower limbs required attention.
ACTION: The Clerk to ask Mr Goodyear for his opinion on the small oak.

b) Pond Wardens (Neil & Gigi Verlander):

It was reported that a big clear up had taken place ahead of the Big Lunch. They asked if New Farm Ground Maintenance could cut the willow back in October and the Council agreed.
ACTION: The Clerk to ask NFGM to cut back the willow

c) Playing Field Warden (Graham Holmes):

The kickboard had been removed and it was agreed to ask the Youth Group if they would like it replaced. Feed-back on the type of bin to be situated by the shelter was also required to be sought from the Warden.
ACTION: Cllr Adeney to ask the Youth Group memebers, the Clerk to ask Mr Holmes.

d) Local Police

It had been hoped the Community Officer would attend but they were unable to do so at the last minute.
ACTION: The Clerk to email the Officers all the dates of the meetings and ask them to attend one.

91/16 Environmental Matters:

a) Report of the Environmental Working Group:

Cllr Adeney advised that a local contractor had been asked to kill the nettles that had grown on the verge.

92/16 Neighbourhood Development Plan:

Cllr Lamb reported there was ‘light at the end of the tunnel’. The design guide was drafted, the appendices 80% drafted and Data Orchard’s time was being appropriately used. Everything was moving towards an informal consultation which would hopefully start in July.

93/16 Correspondence:

a) Flood Alleviation Conference

The Clerk advised the Councillors of the date of the Conference if they wished to attend.

94/16 Topics raised by Councillors, Committees, Clerk & Parishioners:

a) Flooding at Roberts End

At the previous meeting the matter of flooding at Roberts End was discussed and whether it would be worthwhile having a stock of sand bags available for use within the parish. Cllr Adeney offered to investigate holding a supply of sand bags. The Clerk was asked to request that the drains been cleared as they were thought to be blocked.
ACTION: Cllr Adeney to find out about sand bags, The Clerk to report the drains to WCC.

b) Wooden Stump on the Green

It was reported that there was a wooden stump on the Village Green that was causing a trip hazard and it was asked that it be cut flush to its cement base for safety reasons.
ACTION: Cllr Darwent to ask Mr Darwent to attend to the matter.

95/16 Councillors reports and items for future agenda:

a) Councillor lead on planning issues

Cllr Darwent kindly agreed to take up the role and had booked to attend the training courses being put on by MHDC. She had started reading the National Planning Policy Framework. Planning training for all Councillors was discussed and it was agreed that the Clerk would contact CALC and MHDC to ask if one of them would be able to run a training session for the Parish Council.
ACTION: The Clerk to speak to CALC & MHDC

b) Cllr Walker raised the issue of Facebook communication with parishioners and cited Upon’s Facebook page as a good example of community interaction.

A discussion ensued as to the best way forward and what the difference was between a community facebook group as in the case of Upton and an individual facebook page. It was recognised that there were already several Parish facebook pages and groups but due to their names might were not easily identified or found when searching. It was agreed that Cllr Darwent and Walker would take the matter forward and look at the best method of Facebook communication with Dave Morton.
ACTION: Cllrs Walker and Darwent to review Facebook communication.

96/16 Date of Next Scheduled Meeting:

21st July 2016

The meeting closed at 9.05 pm

Signed ……………………………… Date: 21st July 2016

Chairman

Appendix 1: Schedule of Payments & Receipts 16th June 2016

Payment of Accounts: The under mentioned accounts were approved:

1513 Open Spaces Society Annual Membership 45.00
1514 The Clerk Expenses and May Salary 390.08
1515 New Farm Ground Maintenance May Cuts 693.60
1516 ELMS Pathway Work 400.00
1517 M Waggett Playground Repairs 157.00
Total 1685.68

Signed ……………………………………… Date: 21st July 2016

Chairman

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s