Minutes for 19th February 2015

HANLEY CASTLE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday, 19th February 2015 starting at 7:00pm in Hanley Swan Village Hall.

Present: Councillors: Sue Roberts (Chairman), Tony Atkinson, John Taverner, Bob Lamb, Sue Adeney, Francis Harcombe, Jackie Bass, Wendy Roberts-Powell

Apologies: Peter Goodyear (PPW)

In Attendance: Mrs Rebecca Abunassar (Clerk) Ken Nottage, Steve Briggs, Phillip Oakley & 4 Parishioners

16/15 Welcome:

The chairman welcomed all present to the February meeting of the Parish Council and thanked Ken Nottage for attending.  She explained that Steve Briggs & Philip Oakley would also be attending the meeting but were detained in traffic and would join the meeting as soon as possible.

17/15 Declarations of Interest:

a) Register of Interests:
Councillors were reminded of the need to update their register of interests.

b) To declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in items on the agenda and their nature:
None were declared.

c) To declare any Other Disclosable Interests in items on the agenda and their nature:
None were declared.

18/15 To Consider Written Requests from Councillors for the Council to Grant a Dispensation (S33 of the Localism Act 2011):

None received.

The meeting was closed to allow the public to speak:

No questions or comments were raised.

19/15 Ken Nottage, Chief Executive from The Three Counties Showground

Mr Nottage thanked the Council for allowing him to defer his attendance at the meeting as he preferred to attend in person rather than sending a deputy.
He gave an overview of 2014 for The Three Counties Showground explaining that it was pretty much divided into two parts; the shows run and managed by the Showground and the shows and conferences run by third parties.
Those run by the Showground generated approximately 70% of their income and consisted of the Spring and Autumn Shows, the Royal Three Counties Show, Countrytastic and the Caravan Show. They made the decision to no longer run the Firework displays that had previously been held at the Showground as it was felt they did not to fit with the Charity’s agricultural ideal and had also made a loss in previous years. He was pleased to announce that they had had more lettings in 2014 than 2013 and had successfully renewed several long term contracts.
He went on to explain that the biggest challenge faced was the Spring Show as visitor numbers had been in decline in previous years. They had changed the layout of the show and elevated the food element by including the chef James Martin who held cookery demonstrations. The early indications were that it was a success and worked well to raise visitor numbers.
The Three Counties Show was now known as the Royal Three Counties Show and Princess Anne was the patron. She had attended the Spring Show and would attend an event in the 2015.
The Showground had spent £300,000 on a few projects, which included a new porch on the side of the exhibition hall and drainage around the site.  Going forward the Showground intended to work more closely with the AONB as it wished to develop its relationship with them. They were setting money aside for projects they would like to see completed and would work with the AONB to prioritise the projects.
He spoke about car parking problems that had arisen and were due to two events being held at the same time. Lack of clarity with parking signage was thought to be the issue and therefore in future AA signage would be used at events to ensure signage is clear.
He asked if there were any questions – Cllr Bass thanked him for the tickets that he had donated to the parishioners and also for the wild flower seeds which had been sown on the verge. She looked forward to seeing the flowers in Spring.
Cllr Adeney reminded Mr Nottage that they had previously talked about a cycle route from the Showground to Hanley Castle and Malvern and asked whether anything more had happened with the matter. Mr Nottage said that he had met with MHDC (Simon from Economic Development) and also Malvern Cycle Club as they use the Showground. Burton Knowles had been asked to identify land owners along the route so that they could be contacted and asked if they would be obliging enough to have a cycle route over their land. He had thought that the Parish Council would also be at the meeting. He suggested that Cllrs Adeney and Bass contact him after the meeting so they can arrange to meet up to discuss the cycle route and he can ensure they are included in all future discussions.
Cllr Roberts thanked him for attending the meeting and updating the Parish Council on events at the Three Counties Showground.

Action: Cllr Adeney to email Mr Nottage.

20/15 Minutes:

The Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on 16th January 2015 had been previously circulated and the minutes were approved and signed.

21/15 Matters Arising & Progress Reports not Listed elsewhere on the Agenda:

a) Min 69c/14: Anne Ballinger gift –
No additional suggestions were received.

Action: Councillors to continue to source ideas.

b) Min 70d/14: Cycle Route –
Cllr Adeney advised that additional hedge cutting had taken place and they were now just waiting for a date. It was agreed that Cllr Bass would email Lindsey Kier to get a date for the commencement of the project.

Action: Cllr Bass to email Lindsey Kier.

c) Min 148/14: Superfast Broadband –
Cllr Lamb updated the Council on a meeting he had attended at Upton Library regarding the installation of Superfast Broadband within Upton which would impact on Hanley Castle. The installation was likely to take place during the first half of 2015; however, superfast broadband speeds might not be achieved within Hanley Castle due to the distance of the properties from the green cabinet. The further a property is from the cabinet the more the speed drops; internal home wiring also contributes to the level of speed achieved and so it is impossible to predict what will be available to parishioners. Once a green cabinet has been upgraded a sticker would be put on it to identify the upgrade.
The issue of Cabinet 3 inclusion was still ongoing and Cllr Lamb had been advised that the project might have additional funding in spring and it might spend it on upgrading Cabinet 3 but they could not guarantee it at the moment.
Cllr Harcombe asked whether Cllr Lamb knew what the current down load speeds were within the parish as he has read that it had to be 1MPPS for farmers to communicate with DEFRA as they were required to do. Cllr Lamb said it varied around the parish but residents could go onto the County Council’s superfast broadband website and use the facility to test their current upload and download speeds.

d) Min 164/14: Cemex Applicaction –
Cllr Lamb advised that the application was still awaiting submission. One had been submitted by Tarmac for the Clifton Area running towards Broomhall Farm with a tunnel under the A38.

22/15 Finance:

a) Payment of Accounts:
Members approved the payments of accounts as in the presented schedule in Appendix 1.

b) Notification of receipts received:
None noted.

23/15 Projects related to the Section 106 Funding:

a) Cricket Club:
The Cricket Club had been liaising with the High School and MHDC to secure the funds for the project. They were unable to get funding from Sports England as they are not the landowners or primary leaseholders so have had to scale down the project. They are applying for the remaining section 106 funds which are £5125 and have asked the Parish Council to write a letter of support to go with the application.

Action: The Clerk to write a letter of support and send to Jo Cross (MHDC) and Elaine Wilkins (HCHS).

b) Parish Council:
Prices had been gained for various options for seating within the play area. After a discussion it was agreed that wooden bench/es would be the preferred type of structure. A local supplier called Moss Leisure had been contacted and once prices had been agreed the Clerk would circulate pictures and prices.

Action: The Clerk to receive pictures and pricing for circulation.

24/15 Philip Oakley & Steve Briggs to discuss ESP’s provisional proposals for Blackmore Business Park

Cllr Roberts welcomed Mr Oakley & Mr Briggs to the meeting and asked them to share their proposals for the business park.
Steve Briggs introduced himself as the Managing Director of Essential Supply Products Ltd (ESP) which currently works out of the Enigma Business Park in Malvern. The company make paper tissue for commercial businesses. He explained that they are mainly a packaging and distribution unit and do not make the tissue paper itself. They receive it on large rolls (bobbins) which they then process, package and distribute to their customers.
ESP had been looking for several years for suitable premises to accommodate their expanding business and was extremely pleased when Blackmore Business Park became available to purchase because it meant they could retain their existing staff as the site was local.
Mr Briggs introduced Philip Oakley their technical consultant who had worked with them since acquiring the land 12 months ago. With the aid of large maps, Mr Oakley talked through the proposed plans for the site. He explained that they had been talking to MHDC planning department seeking pre application advice in the hope of developing a scheme that would be acceptable to MHDC and the surrounding residents. He explained how they were trying to reduce the visible impact of the site from the Malvern Hills by proposing a building with an undulating roof to mirror the hills in its back drop. The main building would be 15000m2 as it needed to accommodate processing machinery as well as storage of the product. The building at its highest point would be 15m and 11.5m at its lowest and a colour analysis was being undertaken to make it as unobtrusive as possible.
Mr Oakley said they were hoping to submit a planning application in a month or so and were holding an information meeting at their current site on March 4th and asked if the Parish Council could publicise the event.
Cllr Taverner asked about the anticipated volume of traffic to and from the site. Mr Briggs said he expected there to be around 32 lorry movements in 24 hours. At the moment the bulk of those movements would be within the hours of 8am and 4pm. They do not currently have any vehicle movements during the night and whilst it is unlikely in the foreseeable future it could not be ruled out and they would do their utmost to limit the disturbance it might cause.
When asked about the likely route the vehicles might take Mr Briggs explained that it was outside their influence as it would be suppliers and other contractors who would make the decisions on movements but he agreed to speak to contractors and request the route of minimal disruption.
Cllr Bass asked what energy generating project they were anticipating. Mr Briggs said the electricity was their main requirement but they had very little waste product. They were creating a recycling area where any off cuts of the product and all left over wrapping and cardboard could be stored prior to sending back in waste bales to the mills.
Mr Briggs & Mr Oakley agreed to take back all the thoughts and questions raised and they would also check whether there was a requirement to provide a footpath on the eastern side of Blackmore Park Road leading onto Poolbrooke Common.

25/15 Planning:

a) To Consider the following applications referred by MHDC for consultation:

14/01729/REM Booth End Cottage, 45 Gilberts End Lane, Hanley Castle, WR8 0BX Reserved matters following outline approval 14/00273/OUT for a new dwelling for access, appearance, landscaping, layout and scale.
The application had been resubmitted and the amendments were considered. It was felt that the amended plans were still not in keeping with the street view and it was still considered to be a very large scale when compared to neighbouring properties. Cllr Lamb agreed to summarise the objections based on the findings from the NDP questionnaire feedback to send to the Clerk.

Action: The Clerk was asked to submit the objection to the planning officer.

15/00161/HOU & 15/00162/LBC – Brickwalls Farm, Gilberts End
Single storey extension to the rear of the property to provide a family room and larger kitchen
Plans were not available to view but Cllr Atkinson agreed to look at it on line and submit any comments to the Clerk for submission.

b) To consider under the Scheme of Delegation any Planning Applications received between the publication of this agenda and the Meeting:

15/00152/FUL –The Summer House at Blackmore House, Blackmore Park, Hanley Swan
Change of use of land to residential to include conversion of studio workshop into ancillary dwelling for family members
The proposal had been submitted but the application documents were not available for consideration at the time of the meeting. Councillors were asked to look at the application on-line in the next few days and send comments to the Clerk.

Action: Councillors to look at the application on line and email the Clerk with any comments. The Clerk to ask MHDC if an extension of time is available.

c) Details of Decision Notices Received to-date:

14/01498/OUT –  Land at (Os 8113 4257), Welland Road, Hanley Swan,
Change of use from unused green field land to four, 4 bed dwelling houses.

Approved 26th January 2015

14/01497/OUT The Paddocks off the B4211, Hanley Castle,
Outline application, with Layout, Appearance, Landscaping and Scale reserved, for residential development of 4 dwellings with associated access (existing access off B4211), amenity space and car parking.

Approved 5th February 2015

14/00932/OUT Park Farm, Blackmore Park Road, Malvern
Demolition of redundant agricultural buildings and erection of 2 detached dwellings.

Refused 5th February 2015

d) Details of Appeal Notices Received to-date:
None received

e) Details of enforcement action:
Nothing to report

26/15 Highway Matters:

a) Report & Works for the Lengthsman:
Cllr Taverner updated the Council on the Lengthsman’s activity, and said that he was busy siding out and addressing the grips.

b) Other highway matters:

The antiskid surface of the road by The Holloway was rapidly disappearing and it was requested that the matter be raised with Highways.

Bowling Green continued to be a mess, the road was all breaking up and required reporting.

Hangman’s Lane was in a very bad way and needed reporting. Gilberts End was also reported to be breaking up. Concerns regarding the quality of the repairs were discussed and it was agreed that the patching repair work undertaken had worsened the road condition.

Cllr Taverner also raised the issue of people dumping rubbish on grass behind Hanley Orchard opposite the Ewe and Lamb green, Cllr Atkinson had also been advised of the problem. The lengthsman had investigated but could not find anything so it was hoped that it had been removed.

Action: The Clerk to log the issues with Worcestershire Hub and to raise concerns regarding repair work with the County Councillor responsible for Highways.

27/15 District & County Councillors Reports:

a) District Cllrs Morgan & Perry:
DCllrs Perry & Morgan were not present.

b) County Cllr Tom Wells:
CCllr Wells was not present.

28/15 Reports of the:

a) Parish Paths & Tree Warden:

The Clerk read out the report received from the Peter Goodyear. (Copy kept on file). Mr Goodyear had looked at the previously reported damaged steps down to the brook at the rear of St Mary’s churchyard which had been confirmed to have been damaged by the local hunt. He had provided an estimate for their repair. Cllr Roberts had mentioned the damage to Nick Lechmere but would do so again and ask he arranges for them to contribute towards the repair as it was thought the hunt have contingency funds for this type of issue.

Cllr Adeney raised concerns about the possibility of metal kissing gates within the parish being replaced with other closing methods and she would like them to be preserved. All were in agreement that it would be a loss to the community if this were to occur. It was agreed to advise the PPW that the Parish Council wish them to be preserved and not replaced and to ask him to make a list of all the metal kissing gates within the parish.

Action: The Chairman would speak to Nick Lechmere and remind him of the damage caused by the hunt. The Clerk to ask Mr Goodyear if he could produce a list of all metal kissing gates in the parish.

 b) Pond Wardens:
No report received

c) Playing Field:
No report received

d) Police Report
The parish incident report from September to date had been received and was read out. (Copy kept on file).

28a/15 Environmental Matters

a) Verge project:
Spring was awaited to see if the seed sowing had been a success.

b)Chapmans Orchard
Cllr Adeney reported that she and the Chairman had attended a site meeting on the 22nd January with Lesley Pullen and her Manager but they still would not confirm ownership of area that required attention. Cllr Adeney said that she would contact them again and the Clerk would look in the old records to find the original approved planning application.

Action: Cllr Adeney to contact Nexus. The Clerk to look through the old files.

c) Litter Pick
The 21st March was the date set for the annual litter pick. Cllr Adeney would liaise with Gordon Morris and would email posters out to all Councillors and asked that they put them up in their areas.

29/15 Neighbourhood Development Plan:

Cllr Lamb updated the Council on the NDP and advised they had purchased large scale maps of the parish settlements in black and white. He was also happy to report that Richard Ladd was taking Simon Lee’s place on the steering group. There were four teams working on evidence gathering and Ian Thompson has been enlisted to hep with the Landscape and Heritage assets listing.
Cllr Lamb talked about the incoming Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and that it seems to be at the behest of MHDC of when it is brought in but Section 106 funding would continue until CIL is in place.

 30/15 Correspondence:

a) Elections
A time table for the May Elections had been received by the Clerk from Wychavon and it was anticipated that MHDC would be working towards a similar timescale. Applications would have to be received by the 9th April and it was agreed to put a small advert for Councillors in this month’s Parish Link with a larger piece going into the next month’s edition. It was with great sadness that the Council learned Cllr Atkinson and Cllr Harcombe would not be standing at the next election.

Action: The Clerk to forward any information received from MHDC regarding the Election application process.

31/15 Topics Raised by Councillors, Committees and Parishioners:

a) Cllr Adeney advised that there was a large RV parked at Brickwalls Barn in the caravan area that is on site for 28 days then moves off for a day or so and then comes back. It appears to have no curtains so the glow from its internal lighting is very bright and reflects off the corrugated iron of the barn to make the illumination worse. It would appear that they are being allowed to stay there on a permanent basis which was thought to be against the regulations of a caravan site. As it has fewer than 5 caravans it did not require planning permission. It was agreed to seek advice from MHDC as to the rules applicable to this type of site.

Action: The Clerk to speak to MHDC to find out what regulations apply.

32/15 Date of Next Scheduled Meeting:

19th March 2015

The meeting closed at 9.35 pm

Signed ……………………………………… Date: 19th March 2015

Chairman

Appendix 1: Schedule of Payments & Receipts 19th February 2015

Payment of Accounts:

The under mentioned accounts were approved:

Payments Raised for Approval
Date No. Payee Detail Amount
19th Feb 1401 Mrs Abunassar January Salary £316.80
19th Feb 1402 Internet Technology Solutions Website & Email £78.00
19th Feb 1403 Sue Roberts Chairman Expenses £75.00
19th Feb 1404 Peter Sauntson January Lengthsman Duties £812.50
19th Feb 1405 The Map Shop NDP Plans & Maps £574.00
Total £1856.30

Signed ……………………………………… Date: 19th March 2015

Chairman

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s