Minutes for 17th Jul 2014

HANLEY CASTLE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday, 17th July 2014 starting at 7:00pm in Hanley Swan Village Hall.

Present: Councillors: Sue Roberts (Chairman); Tony Atkinson; John Taverner; Wendy Roberts-Powell; Sue Adeney; Bob Lamb; Jackie Bass

Apologies: Peter Goodyear (PPW), Mike Morgan (DCllr)

In Attendance: Mrs Rebecca Abunassar (Clerk); CCllr Tom Wells from 8.20pm

103/14 Welcome: The chairman welcomed all present.

104/14 Declarations of Interest

a) Register of Interests: Councillors were reminded of the need to update their register of interests.

b) To declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in items on the agenda and their nature: Cllr Adeney declared an interest as a neighbour to two planning applications listed under item 7)a) on the agenda: 14/00676/HOU 1, Villa Cottages, Gilberts End, Oak framed garden room and

14/00718/FUL – Brickwalls Barn, Gilberts End, Hanley Castle – Erection of two holiday chalets (reconsultation)

c) To declare any Other Disclosable Interests in items on the agenda and their nature: None were declared.

105/14 To Consider Written Requests from Councillors for the Council to Grant a Dispensation (S33 of the Localism Act 2011): None received.

106/14 Minutes

The Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on 18th June 2014 having been previously circulated were approved after a one amendment to item 96/14 and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

107/14 Matters Arising & Progress Reports not Listed elsewhere on the Agenda

a) Min 69c/14: Anne Ballinger gift

No additional suggestions were received.

Action: Councillors to continue to source ideas.

b) Min 70d/14: Cycle Route

Cllr Adeney gave the Council a summary of the meeting that had been held with Highways, Lindsey Keir, Cllr Wells & Lindsay Cooke (HCHS) to try and resolve the matter.
They had uncovered approximately a metre of path under the hedgerow. It was agreed the pathway was ok as far as the bus lay-by but the houses on the corner would need to be consulted as overgrowth was a continuing problem. They discussed whether it was a Lengthsman job but decided that a contractor would be required and the cost would be looked into, along with the possibility of traffic lights and signage costs. It was reported that this would form Phase 1 of the project. Cllr Wells had promised £15,000 towards it and the additional costs would need to be supplemented by other parties. Sustrans and the High School would be approached.

To secure the £15,000 the work would need to be undertaken by April 2015. (Cllr Wells was not present at this point of the meeting)

Cllr Adeney went on to explain that Phase 2 of the project would be from Gilberts End to Roberts End. She explained that the pathway on this section had been edged out and it had revealed that it was in a very bad state of repair and was anticipated to be the greater cost of the whole project. Gerry Brienza took pictures of the pathway and would investigate whether due to its poor state it could be repaired under Highways.

Cllr Bass asked about the issue of flooding and what actions would be taken to prevent it as flooding was a regular problem on the corner section. Cllr Adeney agreed to look into the flooding issue. (The discussion of the cycle route was paused and recommenced when Cllr Wells arrived later in the meeting)

Action: Cllr Adeney to look into the flooding issue

c) The Big Lunch: Cllr Adeney reminded the Council that the Big Lunch was being held on 21st July. The Clerk advised that she had contacted the Insurance Company regarding cover for the event and had forwarded the requirements check list to Councillor Adeney. One requirement was a risk assessment of the event and Cllr Adeney confirmed that one was held on file.

108/14 Finance:

a) Payment of Accounts: Members approved the payments of accounts as in the presented schedule in Appendix 1.

b) Notification of receipts received: The Clerk notified the Council of the receipts listed in Appendix 1.

c) To consider Annual Insurance Policy – Renewal notice received (due 1st September) The renewal notice from Came & Co had been received and was £789. The three year LTA had come to an end so the Council could move to an alternative Insurer if appropriate. The Clerk confirmed that alternative quotations had been sought from Zurich & Aon but had not been received prior to the meeting. It was agreed that if an alternative quotation was received that matched existing cover and was cheaper then the Council would be happy to take up a new policy rather than renew with AVIVA.

The Clerk was asked to check Event cover with the other insurers.

Action: The Clerk to check Event cover with the other insurers and to email alternative quotations when received for a decision.

109/14 Projects related to the Section 106 Funding:

a) Cricket Club: The Cricket Club had been passed the contact details of Jo Cross and had started to move the project forward slowly.

b) Parish Council: Cllr Lamb confirmed that all the money had been received from MHDC and The Big Lottery and that work was anticipated to start on 21st July. Cllr Roberts-Powell had put up notices advising parishioners of the impending works. The primary school was set to receive the wood bark and Graham Holmes had been consulted regarding the movement of vehicles across the field.

The Clerk advised she had found what appeared to be identical swing seats from a supplier on the internet that could be purchased without the chains for £30 compared to £230 required by Lappsett that could only be purchased with the chains. It was agreed to purchase two seats as the second was also showing signs of wear but would need to arrange for someone to fix them when they arrived.

Action: The Clerk to order two swing seats. Cllr Lamb to monitor the play area installation.

110/14 Planning: a) To consider planning applications referred by MHDC for comment:

14/00676/HOU 1, Villa Cottages, Gilberts End, Oak framed garden room

No objections raised

14/00706/HOU – Beech House, Roberts End – Extension to form porch canopy

No objections raised

14/00718/FUL – Brickwalls Barn, Gilberts End, Hanley Castle – Erection of two holiday chalets (reconsultation)

A lengthy discussion was held on the application. It was eventually agreed that as long as there was not an increase in the number of caravans permitted onto the site and that sufficient parking was provided for the two chalets then no objection would be raised but it would be requested that appropriate measures be put in place to ensure that the chalets were used for holiday lets only and not for permanent residency.

The comment was made that if it was approved it appeared to be inconsistent with the decision to refuse 13/01245/FUL. The Clerk was asked to look up the exact reasons of refusal for reference.

ACTION: Clerk to notify MHDC Planning of the Council’s decision on the applications and to look up the reason for refusal of 13/01245/FUL

b) To consider under the Scheme of Delegation any Planning Applications received

between the publication of this agenda and the Meeting: None Received

c) Details of Decision Notices Received to-date:

14/00543/HOU Church End Farm, Hanley Castle – extension to side and rear

APPROVED: 1st July 2014

14/00363/FUL – Hanley Castle High School – 6th Form Block and Sports Hall alterations

APPROVED: 20th June 2014

(The development hereby permitted shall not be brought into use until the applicant has
submitted to and have approved in writing a travel plan that promotes sustainable forms of travel to the site with the Local Planning Authority. This plan thereafter will be implemented and updated in agreement with the Local Planning Authority.

Reason: To reduce vehicle movements and promote sustainable access in accordance with Policies DS1and DS3 of the Malvern Hills District Local Plan.)

d) Details of Appeal Notices Received to-date:
None Received

e) Possible Enforcement Actions Required: None

111/14 Highway Matters

a) Report & Works for the Lengthsman:

Cllr Taverner updated the Council on the Lengthsman’s activities over the last month. Westecote had provided a new battery and the VAS appeared to be working very well. Mr Sauntson had cleared around the school sign but could not deal with the remainder of hedge at Picken End. Cllr Taverner said that he would arrange for Colin Brimmel to be contacted as he had undertaken the work on previous occasions.

He also reported that New Farm had reduced the willow by the pond as requested and they had proved a quotation to strim the area by the pond which had been accepted.

Cllr Taverner had met with Adrian Hope and arranged for the beech tree by the pond to be felled as agreed at June’s meeting.

Cllr Lamb commented that Chris Taylor’s hedge was over hanging the cycle path and when he raised the issue with him Mr Taylor advised that it was actually Highway’s hedge as they had planted it when the cycle way was created. It was agreed to contact David Hunter to ask if a Lengthsman is permitted to work on a cycle way which is outside the 30MPH zone. If they are not permitted to do so Highways would be asked to cut it back.

Action: The Clerk to speak to the Mr Hunter at the Lengthsman Scheme and try to establish contact details and request the work is undertaken.

b) Update on items reported to WCC: Worcester Road had been resurfaced and no issues had been raised.

c) Other highway matters: – None reported

112/14 District & County Councillors Reports

a) District Cllrs Morgan & Perry: The Members were not present.

b) County Cllr Tom Wells: Cllr Wells arrived during the meeting and updated the Council on the following issues:

I) Bus Route – Cllr Adeney had written to Chris Holloway, as advised by Cllr Wells at the June meeting, requesting that a route was still kept going through Hanley Swan and via the Three Counties Showground. The response from Mr Holloway was read out, it queried where the information had come from suggesting that a route through Hanley Swan might not be maintained and it assured the Parish Council that a decision had not yet been made about future timetables but they were anticipated to be finalised in August and that buses would still be routed through the village.

II) Cycle Route – Cllr Wells confirmed that he had £15,500 from his budget that he wished to allocate to Hanley Castle Parish. A long discussion regarding the cycle route ensued. In summary it was agreed that in order to allocate the £15,500 he required a letter from the Parish Council detailing how they wished it to be spent. It had to be spent on footway and road maintenance. It was agreed that the phase 1 of the Cycle route would be put forward as maintenance of the footway was required to undertake the project.

Cllr Roberts thanked Cllr Wells for the proposed funding on behalf of the Parish Council.

Cllr Wells explained that the full cycleway could not be funded from the highway maintenance grant and that additional funding would be required to be sourced from elsewhere.

Cllr Taverner commented that the young offenders had done a good job on siding back sections of the footway but their work highlighted how bad some sections of the surface were.

III) Cllr Wells then went on to update the Councillors the latest developments at MHDC and Wychavon and the possibility of having a Joint Chief Executive and the repercussions it might bring. He also discussed the Worcestershire Regulatory Services and the latest report that had been issued regarding them.

Action: The Clerk to write to Cllr Wells to request funding for the cycle route out of the Highway Maintenance Budget.

113/14 Reports of the:

a) Parish Paths & Tree Warden: The Clerk read out the report received from the Warden. (Copy kept on file). It was agreed that dog stickers should be applied for as per the email. It was agreed that footpaths are very overgrown at the moment and Mr Goodyear should be asked to slash the nettles back as he walks the pathways. Cllr Roberts suggested putting him in contact with Upton’s Path Warden as it is thought that he could advise Mr Goodyear on how best to tackle the problem.

Action:
The Clerk to apply for Dog Stickers. Cllr Roberts to provide Peter with Upton’s PPW’s contact details.

b) Pond Wardens: No report received

c) Playing Field: No report received

114/14 Environmental Matters

a) Chapmans Orchard: The Clerk advised she had finally made contact with Lesley Pullen and that she had been promised that the work would be under taken imminently. The issue lay with determining the exact ownership of the trees as they did not want to undertake the work if it did not belong to them. There was a query that they could belong to one of the homeowners. The work had all been evaluated and quoted for so as soon as confirmation was received it would be undertaken.

b) Verge project: Colin Smith had been asked to flay the verge and his response was awaited. Highways had cut a metre of the verge but this had been anticipated and the seeds had been sown approximately a metre in so it was hoped that none had been damaged.

115/14 Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Lamb updated the Council on the latest activities. The questionnaires had been distributed and the task of collection was being planned. It was anticipated to be an onerous task and all assistance in collecting them was being sought. If possible two passes would be done, the first would serve as a reminder and the second closer to the end date.

Simon Lee had done a great deal of work creating a database to capture the data and volunteers had been asked to input the data captured. A stand would be set up at the Big Lunch to encourage people to complete questionnaires and to volunteer to help with the plan.

Cllr Lamb said he was still unsure about the business questionnaire and how best to collect the data. He also advised that he had received concerns about the use of the data being collected from the residential questionnaires and how confidential the information would remain. The Clerk advised that the Council was registered with the Information Commissioners Office and that the Data Protection Act would be adhered to, Cllr Lamb suggested that a confidentiality agreement was drafted and that volunteers processing the data be asked to sign the agreement.

Cllr Lamb & Adeney updated the Council on a NHP forum they had attended. Chaddesley Corbett Parish were at referendum stage and they had spent over £20,000 on their plan but they were given a grant of £20,000 as front runners. When asked what they had spent the money on they said the major items were Planning Consultants and County Council Services, as they had used them to produce and distribute the questionnaires.

Cllr Lamb told the Council that the next task would be to pull together a budget for furthering the plan and that Chaddesley Corbett had offered to provide theirs as an example.

116/14 Correspondence

a) CALC Funding – A letter that had been received from CALC was read out. It highlighted the changes in funding that would be impacting on the organisation and the additional concern of further withdrawal of funds by the County Council that had not previously been anticipated. It asked that the Council write to Ms Merchant at the County Council and ask that they continued to support CALC and the work that they do to assist Parish Councils.

Action: The Clerk to write in support of CALC.

117/14 Topics Raised by Councillors, Committees and Parishioners

a) Bus Stop – Cllr Lamb raised the issue of the bus stopping outside the caravan park and that he thought that this was not supposed to happen. Cllr Atkinson explained that whilst there was a bus stop close to the Catholic Church he thought that passengers were able to request it to stop.

118/14 Date of Next Scheduled Meeting: 18th September 2014

The meeting closed at 8.50 pm

Signed ……………………………… Date: 18th September 2014

Chairman

Appendix 1: Schedule of Payments & Receipts 17th July 2014

Payment of Accounts: The under mentioned accounts were approved:

17th July

1365

Print & Design NDP Questionnaire

374.40

17th July

1366

New Farm Ground Maintenance June Cuts & correction

656.40

17th July

1367

Graham Computer Services Ltd NDP Banner

60.00

17th July

1368

Rebecca Abunassar Jun & July Clerk Duties

657.79

Total

1748.59

Receipts
9th June WCC TW – VAS repair

127.00

18th June MHDC Section 106 grant

10250.00

Total

10377.00

Signed ……………………………… Date: 18th September 2014

Chairman

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s