Minutes for 19th Jun 2014

HANLEY CASTLE PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday, 19th June 2014 starting at 7:00pm in Hanley Swan Village Hall.

Present: Councillors: Sue Roberts (Chairman); Tony Atkinson; John Taverner; Wendy Roberts-Powell; Sue Adeney; Bob Lamb; Jackie Bass

Apologies: Peter Goodyear; Gigi Field

In Attendance: Mrs Rebecca Abunassar (Clerk); CCllr Tom Wells from 7.45pm

87/14 Welcome: The chairman welcomed all present.

88/14 Declarations of Interest
a) Register of Interests: Councillors were reminded of the need to update their register of interests.

b) To declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in items on the agenda and their nature: None were declared

c) To declare any Other Disclosable Interests in items on the agenda and their nature: None were declared.

89/14 To Consider Written Requests from Councillors for the Council to Grant a Dispensation (S33 of the Localism Act 2011): None received.

90/14 Minutes
The Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 15th May 2014 having been previously circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

91/14 Matters Arising & Progress Reports not Listed elsewhere on the Agenda

a) Min 69c/14: Anne Ballinger gift

No additional suggestions were received.

Action: Councillors to continue to source ideas.

b) Min 70d/14: Cycle Route

Cllr Adeney updated the Council on two different issues. She noted that there had been no progress on the plan for a safe route for cyclists from Hanley Swan to HCHS either via Gilberts End or Roberts End. There were no details available from Highways about the widening of the footway around the Cross Hands to enable cyclists to use it. It was agreed that another meeting with all interested parties would be needed and Cllr Adeney would try to arrange this as soon as possible.

Cllr Adeney also mentioned a plan, first talked about some ten years earlier, to provide a cycle route through Tuck Mill (and hence onto Upton) by upgrading the footpath to a bridle path way. The plan had previously stalled because of the owner of the land but the situation had recently changed and it was thought it may be worth revisiting. Concerns were raised about the narrowness of the route in some places and it was also noted that it would not assist with the issue of a safe cycle route to the school, but it was felt that any suggestion for improving cycle access in the Parish was welcomed.

Cllr Lamb asked about the other sources for funding available for cycle tracks and Cllr Adeney explained that until Highways were forthcoming with a plan no other sources of funding could b pursued.

Action: Cllr Adeney to arrange a meeting with Sustrans, Highways, Lindsey Keir, Cllr Wells & Lindsay Cooke (HCHS) to try and resolve the matter.

92/14 Finance:

a) Payment of Accounts: Members approved the payments of accounts as in the presented schedule in Appendix 1.

b) Notification of receipts received: The Clerk notified the Council of the receipts listed in Appendix 1.

c) To receive and approve Annual Accounting Statement for External Auditor & Annual Accounts (circulated prior to meeting)

The Councillors confirmed they had all received a copy of the final accounts which the Clerk had circulated prior to the meeting and it was proposed that they were signed off and all were in agreement. The Clerk advised that Chris Price had undertaken an internal audit on the accounts and had signed the audit commission form. The Annual Governance Statement was read out and the appropriate answers were given allowing the form to be completed and signed by the Chairman. The clerk advised the appropriate notices had been published advertising the audit.

93/14 Projects related to the Section 106 Funding:
a) Cricket Club: Project still on hold but Cllr Roberts suggested that the contact details of Malvern Hills Section 106 team (Jo Cross) were passed on to the Chairman of the Cricket Club to enable them to make contact and start the application process.

Action: Cllr Roberts to pass the details of the Cricket Club Chairman to the Clerk.

b) Parish Council: Cllr Lamb confirmed that the order had been placed and following a meeting with the preferred supplier the quotation has been reduced slightly by decreasing the rubber mulch surface area and by using an alternative for safety inspections. The reduction in price allowed an element for contingencies but if the project did come in under the funding provided the under spend may have to be return. The next step would be to meet with the contracts manager when a start date is known.

Action: The Clerk to liaise with MHDC over the section 106 monies, Cllr Lamb to liaise with the contractor regarding timings and with the Village Hall Management Committee and Graham Holmes.

94/14 Planning:

a) To consider planning applications referred by MHDC for comment:

14/00570/PDU Merebrook Farm Hanley Swan, prior approval of proposed change of use from agricultural building to dwelling house

14/00543/HOU Church End Farm, Hanley Castle – extension to side and rear

both applications were considered prior to meeting and no objections raised.

b) To consider under the Scheme of Delegation any Planning Applications received between publication of the agenda and the Meeting: None received

c) Details of Decision Notices Received to-date: None received

d) Details of Appeal Notices Received to-date:
Hanley Hall, Gilberts End – Appeal Dismissed

APP/J1860/A/14/2219247 – Appeal following refusal. The Orchards, Haylers End, Hanley Castle – Retrospective application to replace stable block and hay store with 2 bed holiday let. (13/01245/FUL) – it was agreed to monitor the appeal.

e) Possible Enforcement Actions Required: None

95/14 Highway Matters

a) Report & Works for the Lengthsman:

Cllr Taverner updated the Council on the Lengthsman’s activities over the last month. He said that Mr Sauntson’s main concern was the hedge at the corner of Picken End as it was becoming a job that might be beyond his equipment. It was agreed to try and get the details of the landowner from Mr Sauntson as he had been commissioned to do the work in the past and the Clerk could then write to the landowner and request the hedge was cut back. The hedgerow from The Holloway to Holloway Farm was also thought to be an issue along with the hedgerow at Cross Hands Corner. Cllr Bass commented that it appeared to be an annual issue and would it not be better to write to Nick Lechmere as estate owner and ask that he requests tenants keep their hedgerow trimmed back. After a brief discussion it was agreed to write to Adrian Robinson and bring up the issue with him.

It was also noted that the signs coming into the village from The Three Counties were obscured by branches and it was agreed to ask the lengthsman to make the signs visible.

Action: Cllr Taverner and the Clerk to speak to the Lengthsman and try to establish contact details and request the work is undertaken. The Clerk to distribute encroachment letters for delivery.

b) Update on items reported to WCC:

The Clerk read out Gerry Brienza’s email regarding the resurfacing of Worcester Road and suggested asking the site manager whether there would be a possibility to fill the potholes outside the British Legion Club whilst they were in the vicinity. He clarified that the road to the Highball would not be done; it would only be to the cross roads.

c)Update on repair to footway in Roberts End (Tom Wells):

Cllr Wells was not present at the time to update.

d) Other highway matters: – Cllr Bass updated the Council on her discussions with the Safer Roads Partnership; she asked that it was minuted that the Council would welcome their presence in Hanley Castle to demonstrate the support by the Council. This proposal was supported by all and Cllr Bass advised that she would contact them and let them know.

Cllr Atkinson raised the continuing problem of potholes along Gilberts End. Whilst some have been filled numerous others remained and it was extremely frustrating that the work was only done to fill in the ones marked with an orange spot.

96/14 District & County Councillors Reports

a) District Cllrs Morgan & Perry: The members were not present. The Clerk had emailed both Councillors to request their presence at meetings but had not received a response

b) County Cllr Tom Wells: Cllr Wells arrived during the meeting and said that he had four things to discuss with the Parish Council. i) Buses; ii)Road Maintenance; iii) Robert End Footway; iv) Cycle Route and how the Council wished to allocate some funds against the various projects.

i) He confirmed there would be a bus route on the parish side of the river and that it would be hourly from Worcester to Upton. The Upton to Malvern route might not go through Hanley Swan as it needed subsidising. He urged that the Parish Council write to Chris Holloway outlining a case to keep the service and request that it goes via The Three Counties Showground.

Action: Cllr Adeney to draft a letter to be sent to Chris Holloway.

ii) He advised that Worcester Rd was no longer a patch, chip and tar exercise as Highways had realised that bits needed restructuring. Everything had been passed over to Ringway so feedback on the quality of the work may be required.

iii) He said that £17,000 was going to do 100m stretch of the footway but he had managed to persuade the County Council to side out the footway properly and strip it right back without a cost incurred and he thought that that option might be worth considering. Cllr Taverner raised concerns over this approach as he felt there might not be any surface under the debris and hedgerow. The Lengthsman had been siding out some sections and would continue to do so.

iv) The Cycle route had been discussed prior to his arrival so Cllr Adeney updated him on the discussion held. He informed the Council that he had set aside £2,500 in principle for the cycle track but was advised by Lindsey Kier that it would be used to spend predominantly on signage. Cllr Adeney thought this might refer to road surface signage and markings. He agreed to hold the £2,500 and attend the meeting that was to be arranged.

In summary Cllr Wells said he had money to allocate to the parish and would like the Council’s input into its allocation. He had a budget of £16,000 for highways maintenance but unfortunately new projects like the Cycle route could not come under it unless it was rebadged as a maintenance project. He also had a £33,000 budget to be spent over 2 years across his parishes.

Cllr Roberts asked about the new Rhydd sign that had been erected. He apologised for not notifying the Council but he thought it was in Guarlford parish and had spoken to them. It was put up to try and reduce speeding and accidents on the corner and turning to Malvern.

97/14 Reports of the:

a) Parish Paths & Tree Warden: The Clerk read out the report received from the Warden. The PPW asked if Adrian Hope could inspect the trees by the pond as he was concerned about them. A query was also raised regarding the path through the land by Maisey Cottage and it was asked if the PPW could identify its number so that an issue of access could be raised. Cllr Roberts advised that the cedar tree in Hanley Castle had a split branch and the tree surgeon removed it. He would invoice the Parish Council for the work. It was also mentioned that the church yard had overgrown branches.

Action:
The Clerk to ask Peter Goodyear to see if he can identify the path number. Cllr Taverner to contact Adrian Hope. Cllr Roberts to speak with the Church Warden.

b) Pond Wardens: The report was read out by the Clerk and it was agreed to contact New Farm Ground Maintenance to ask them to cut back the willow by the pond.

c) Playing Field: A quotation of £230 had been provided by Lappset to replace the swing. The Clerk was investigating an alternative manufacturer who can provide just the seat for approx £30 as new chains are not required.

Action:
The Clerk to source additional quotes for a replacement swing seats.

98/14 Environmental Matters

a) The verge outside Chapman’s Orchard still has not been cut.

Action:
The Clerk to phone again to request the branches are cut back.

b) An update was provided on the verge project. The Three Counties cannot assist with cutting but they had provided three bags of wild flower seed. How the seed will be distributed needed to be decided. The group were going to look into what is required to be done. It was agreed that the nettles need to have weed killer applied and additional advice will be sought.

99/14 Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Lamb updated the Council on the latest activities. The questionnaires were being finalised and the number required to be printed needed to be agreed. After a discussion it was agreed to print 600 and distribute them in July allowing parishioners 3 weeks to complete and return them. Four printing companies had been approached for quotations to produce the questionnaires and the quotations could be finalised once the number was agreed.

The consultation period had now come to an end. Only three responses had been received and no objections raised.

Cllr Adeney commented on what a fantastic job Cllr Lamb was doing and the whole of the Council thanked him for working so hard and tirelessly on the plan.

100/14 Correspondence

a) Public Notice – Had been received informing of the Worcester Road Closure to undertake the repair work.

101/14 Topics Raised by Councillors, Committees and Parishioners

a) Grass Cutting – Due to the problems with the new contractor and his wish to relinquish the contract it was agreed to go back to New Farm Ground Maintenance with immediate effect and they had offered to hold last year’s price if the Parish Council would enter into a three year contract with them. It was agreed to accept their offer. Cllr Roberts had agreed to meet with them to discuss what was required to put the grass back into their previous condition. Cllr Roberts had spoken to Val Fare and a notice of explanation would be placed in the Parish Link.

It was also noted that parishioners Richard Morton and Mike Burnside had cut the green as they were so concerned about the state it was in and it was agreed it would be a nice gesture to write to them and thank them.

Action:
The Clerk to formally write to New Farm agreeing to a 3 year contract and to the parishioners to thank them for stepping in.

b) New email address for approval – The old email address was not working due to problems with the domain site. The following email address had been set up by Dave Morton to link with the Hanley Society website clerk@hanleyswan.net. After a discussion it was agreed that Hanley Castle should be included in the address to avoid confusion. It was agreed that the new address would be: hanleycastleparish@hanleyswan.net

c) Three Counties Tickets – 35 entries into the draw for the show tickets were received. It was agreed that whilst the method of collating the names via the school, the clerk, the Three Kings, the shop and the Café market worked well more notice needed to be provided. Cllr Bass was already in receipt of the tickets for the Autumn Show so preparations on distribution would start shortly. 50p per entry was considered

d) A Village(s) Trail – Cllr Lamb asked about a village trail as it was a suggestion from the tourism group. It would take visitors around the main points of interest around the villages. Cllr Adeney made the suggestion to wait and see what came out of the questionnaires and Cllr Roberts thought they may already be one produced by the caravan park.

e) Changing date of the meeting to assist with inclusion in the Parish Link – the question was raised by Cllr Bass however after a discussion it was agreed that the 3rd Thursday was the only monthly available date for the Parish Council to meet and if it is causing a problem with production it might be better to change the publication date of the magazine.

f) Library – Cllr Roberts updated the Councillors on the Library meeting she had attended. She said she felt more confused about what was happening than prior to the meeting as there are doubts as to the rent paid by MHDC. But she did go on to say the committee are still working hard toward setting it up.

102/14 Date of Next Scheduled Meeting: 17th July 2014

The meeting closed at 9.10 pm

Signed ……………………………… Date: 17th July 2014

 

Chairman

 

Appendix 1: Schedule of Payments & Receipts 19th June 2014

 

Payment of Accounts: The under mentioned accounts were approved:

19th Jun

1360

Peter Saunston May Lengthsman

26.00

19th Jun

1361

Rebecca Abunassar May Clerk Duties

328.88

19th Jun

1362

Signature Gardens May Cut x1

198.00

19th Jun

1363

Open Spaces Annual Subscription

45.00

19th Jun

1364

Rebecca Abunassar Stationery, Stamps, Memory Stick

17.90

Total

615.78

Signed ……………………………………… Date: 17th July 2014

Chairman


Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s